Men's Basketball - Thu, Mar. 5, 2009
CHICAGO - Despite a game-high 24 points by senior forward Rob Broughton (Elizabethtown, Ky./Gannon University), the No. 4 seeded Saint Xavier University men's basketball team dropped a hard-fought game to No. 9 ranked and No. 1 seed Robert Morris College (Ill.), 88-84, in the semifinals of the 2009 Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference (CCAC) Tournament Thursday night at the Gentile Center in Chicago. The Cougars led 47-34 at the halftime break, but the Eagles used a 19-7 scoring run to start the second half and get back into the ballgame. SXU ends its 2008-09 season with an overall record of 16-16.

In addition to Broughton, junior guard Larry Pikes (Richton Park, Ill./Rich South) scored 20 points for the Cougars, while senior guard Amir Resic (Prijedor, Bosnia/East-West/Mather) tallied 16 points, including four three-pointers. Junior point guard Julian Scott (Country Club Hills, Ill./Hillcrest) was the only other SXU player to score in double figures Thursday recording 11 points off the bench. Senior forward Scott Campbell (Detroit, Mich./Waubonsee CC/MacKenzie) was tough on the boards for Saint Xavier posting a game-high 10 rebounds. The Eagles came out on fire in the second half shooting a blistering 65 percent (20-for-31) from the field to get the come-from-behind victory.

The Cougars built its double-digit halftime lead after some sharp shooting by Resic, who had 14 points of his 16 points in first-half action. An aggressive defense earned SXU three charges in the early going to stymie the Eagles' penetration, holding RMC to just 33 percent shooting from the floor, while hitting nearly 50 percent themselves. However, the big scoring run to open the second period put the Eagles back in the game as a trey by senior forward Marcus Hall tied the score, 53-53, with just over 13 minutes remaining. RMC then took its first lead of the contest on consecutive baskets by senior center Jeff Wilson.

After Robert Morris moved out to a five-point edge at 60-55, the Cougars stormed back with a 5-0 run of their own to once again knot the game, eventually grabbing the lead at 69-66 on a three-pointer by Broughton. RMC coughed up the ball on three consecutive possessions, which allowed SXU to pull out to a seven-point edge. A trio of threes on consecutive possessions from senior guard Andre White quickly turned that into a two-point lead. Free throws by the Eagles made it 84-80 with 2:01 remaining in the game. Neither team could score until RMC hit the back-end of super bonus for a five-point edge, but a put-back by Pikes cut into that lead. The Eagles hit their free throws in the final minute to ice the win, 88-84.